I’ve spent some time over the last week investigating why the Hardware Status tab wasn’t working on a significant number of BL685c G6 blades (one of the most common server types in our VMware estate).
I’ve tried upgrading to the latest VMware patches (5.1 Update 2 plus patches to 201407001). No change.
Applied the latest HP VIB. No change.
Spent a significant amount of time, digging through the logs, and restarting services. No change.
Finally, after some comparison with a set of hosts that didn’t display the problem, I noticed that the working ones were on a slightly older iLO firmware version (iLO2 2.05 as opposed to iLO2 2.09).
One downgrade later, and voila:
An upgrade to 2.20 also allows it to work, so basically just avoid iLO2 firmware 2.09.